Again, this amazing P. D. James novel increased my vocabulary. These are the ten words I found in there that I didn’t know before.
Honestly, the amount of words I found in this book makes me almost feel like I don’t know the English language at all!
The Children of Men
P. D. James
1. a tactless or awkward act
1. the quality of a person who is completely honest
a. recurrence in an organism of a trait or character typical of an ancestral form and usually due to genetic recombination
b. recurrence of or reversion to a past style, manner, outlook, approach, or activity
2. one that manifests atavism
1. beginning to develop or exist
1. repellent, irritating
a. dagger, stiletto
b. a sharp slender instrument for making holes in cloth
c. an ornamental hairpin shaped like a stiletto
2. a blunt needle with a large eye for drawing tape or ribbon through a loop or hem
1. not able to be avoided or changed
1. a small village
1. an area where a river flows into the sea
I especially thought hamlet was a good one. Of course I know Shakespeare’s play by the same name. However, I never knew that the meaning of it was “small village”.
Which of these do you find most interesting?